Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happy Labor Day!

Well today is Labor Day and normally we're all just counting our blessings for another day off work! Labor Day is an annual world-wide holiday was meant to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers. The origin (don't worry I had to look it up) came from the labor union movement/the origins of the 8 hour day. This movement advocated eight hours of work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest. I sort of have always felt like this is an under-rated holiday; most people (probably like me) never even knew its origins or why we celebrate it. To all out there that may be reading this - hope you had a wonderful Labor Day and appreciate it a little more knowing why we celebrate it. (PS- I know my GMR friends are wondering....8 hour work day? Whats that?!? So I laugh/smile a little bit just thinking about it.... )

Now on to the part you actually came to read about - and its not me (or Dan)! Connor had a good night last night. His cousin Gracie loaned us her infant travel crib for the night and it made all the difference. Don't know if the crib was just feeling too big - but seemed that after a tight swaddle from Grandma Chris and having the travel crib (inside the big crib) he seems comfortable and able to sleep. (When I say sleep - we mean a whole 3 hour stretch!)


Today, Grandma and Grandpa Coughlin headed back to Peru, IL and Scott, Tracy, and Cousin Grace made the (long) trip back to Fridley, MN after being such huge help for several days. Grandma and Grandpa Paulsrud will be here thru the week and have checked out of their hotel and are staying with us now. They did some much needed grocery shopping this evening which hopefully will get us thru a few more days!

The day was fairly uneventful - had a great walk with my dad this morning, Dan got some pictures of the kiddos together before Gracie had to leave, and Mom/Tracy, and I got some much needed errands done.


Here is a picture of Connor/Gracie with Connor's awesome puppy from Joni! The lighting wasn't great but you get the idea!



The highlight of the day (for me) was a visit from our dear friends the Rose's! Our friends Eric and Shelley have two of the most adorable kids - Abby who is 2 and Nate who is 3 months. I've had the honor of some good training from these two and I tell you that Abby Rose can light up a room like no one I've ever met! (and I'm sure her brother will be following suit) Here is a picture of Abby holding Connor - when she arrived at the door she gave me a huge hug and then poked her head around me and said "where's Connor" - the cutest thing ever!




Hope everyone had a blessed holiday and weekend. Everyone here is already asleep so I'm heading that way as well - before the next 'wake up call'

Have a great Tuesday!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have alot of help - good for you. Now the fun starts! Thinking of you three, can't wait to meet Connor!

    ReplyDelete