Sunday, September 6, 2009

Is Any Labor and Delivery Easy?

I fully intend to one day print this blog and include it in Connor's baby book so for that reason - just bear with me - I wanted to document how things all went down so that when I'm old and can't remember we have this to always look back to! :) Feel free to disregard if this is too much detail for you! :)

Tuesday August 25th: Go I go my regular scheduled 36 week check up with my OB. He informs me I'm 1.5 cm dilated and 90% effaced. Connor is at a -2 stage and he says this little guy could come at any time and there is virtually no way he see's us making it to my due date of 9/19

Friday August 28th: My mom arrives in New Berlin to spend the weekend with me. Dan is heading to Peru to DJ a wedding down there and I just don't feel good enough to make the journey as originally planned.

Sunday August 30th: Awake at 2 am and am having some complications I wasn't prepared for. My mom and I call the doctor and at approximately 3 am they send us to the hospital for evaluation. (We know we're not in labor but needed to be checked). Nurse tells us we're at 2 cm's and having mild contractions about every 2-3 minutes apart. (I make a mental note - ok thats what a contraction feels like!) Later in the day my dad and Dan just back up from Peru and we celebrate our Wedding Anniversary with sandwiches from Atlanta Bread Company and the top tier of our chocolate cake! YUM!

Monday August 31st: My mom and dad head home and Dan and I take off work - I'm just not feeling good. We end up back at the doctors office around 10:45 to see Dr. Carlson's associate Dr. Bear - he says all is good but again - labor could start at anytime.

Tuesday September 1st: Happy Birthday to my Grandpa Tom - he was praying for a delivery on his birthday!! We go in for our regular scheduled OB visit with Dr. Carlson - we're now at 3 cms and he says "well I'll see you next Tuesday if not before - I'm on call Wednesday night, Friday night, and Saturday" and gives us his personal cell phone

Wednesday September 2nd: Go to work - having moderate contraction but not regularly timed. My team members are laying out for me the day they each have picked for the delivery date in the 'baby pool' - oh boy! Nicole Frkol comes over for dinner with Lemon Meringue Pie - her mom swears it put her into labor with both kids. I'm so uncomfortable I'm willing to try anything!

Then we waited...and waited...and waited! On Thursday September 3rd I worked from home (thank you to my wonderful team for sticking with me thru this process) and when Dan comes home I discourangly say "I should have just gone to work - nothing is happening" Around 8:30 pm we were laying in bed when I sat straight up and said - you better note what time that was- I'm having a really strong contraction. The only thing that seemed to give me relief was to walk around and then it started. From 8:30 to 9:30 we documented consistent contractions lasting between 3 to 5 minutes - called the doctor around 9:30 and by 10 PM they had sent us to the hospital. We arrive close to 10:30 - I tell the nurse I was hoping to go as natural as Icould but open to pain medications if I needed them. We're in Triage until about midnight where they are timing the contractions and ensuring I'm in active labor. (as if there is any question in my mind?!?) Dan calls my parents to hit the road and we're off. Check one - 3 cms; check two - 5 cms; check three - 9 cms. At 1:49 am Connor James Paulsrud entered the world!

While I do not believe there is any such thing as an "easy" labor and delivery - all those people praying for me blessed me with a short one and I'm so thankful. There was no time for an epidural so despite that I did ask for one in the end - I ended up going naturally as I'd hoped because mother nature took over!

Welcome to the World Little Guy!

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet entry. I love it and I am sure Connor will appreciate it. You should for sure put that in the front page of his baby book!!

    ReplyDelete