Monday, December 21, 2009

So much more....

At Christmas time we must all be reminded that this holiday is about so much more than presents, over-eating, and just indulgence in general. As Marla and I attempted to navigate Brookfield Square Mall on Saturday morning I actually said to her 'gosh you wouldn't think we're in a recession by looking at this place.' I'll try not to get too deep here - but we are a country deep in debt and LOTS of people surviving on unemployment and yet somehow people feel the need to buy buy buy at Christmas time. Don't get me wrong - my family and friends will tell you that I've often been generous beyond my means, but this year is different from others....this year I'll just enjoy being with both Dan and my families. I do not need gifts - there is nothing I need or even greatly desire - this year the people in our lives are the gift.
We are heading into this holiday season with a bit of sad news. Dan's Aunt Vicki lost her battle with Leukemia early yesterday morning. Tomorrow we will attending the wake and memorial services with the funeral following on Wednesday. At times of great sorrow we must be reminded to 1 - enjoy each and every moment 2- don't forget to stop and smell the roses every once and a while and 3 - as my dad has always told me, with death comes sorrow for those who remain living yet you must celebrate the life of your loved one and know that they are now in the place we all strive a lifetime to be.

This year has been filled with great sorrow for many loved ones lost for those we love - so we want you all to know we are thinking of you all this week.

RIP
-Vicki Sandvig
-Douglas Pape
-Sandra DeLannoy Scott
-Walter Zukowski
-Jackie Hodges
-Dorothy Ross
-Helen Maglio
I hope this week everyone is able to celebrate life. This is a poem a dear friend once shared with me that I think is just so true:

I AM NOT THERE
Do not stand at my grave and weep;I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.



Now I'll leave you with a little something more uplifting:


1 comment:

  1. So perfectly said Jules! Wishing you and your families a great holiday!

    Love, Mollie & Matt

    ReplyDelete