Friday August 7, 2009 beautiful Grace Elizabeth Leffler joined this world. So Gracie baby...this post is for you!
Your mom and dad proudly welcomed you into the world at 7:09 pm and I must note - your mama did it without an epidural!
Now as for your Aunt Julie - I was a nervous wreck. I was on pins and needles as your dad sent updates via text messages on the progress of your arrival. Grandma and Grandpa Coughlin had packed their bags and started driving. (I think they arrived around midnight)
I had a baby shower with my wonderful college friends scheduled the next day (August 8th) but I can tell you at 12:54pm, as soon as I got confirmation your Mom was actually in labor and it was go time, I booked a flight on Air Tran Airlines to come see you the very next weekend. (August 14th, 2009 thru Monday August 17th, 2009). For historical sake - thought you'd be interested to know I paid a whopping $97.70 to fly round trip. Here is my at my baby shower for Connor on August 8th (notice the green dress).
Well that lasted only a few hours and at 4:40pm (a good two hours before you were even born) I had booked another flight to Minneapolis for the very next day August 8th to arrive around 9pm. I just couldn't wait to meet you so I enjoyed a wonderful shower on 8/8/09 and hopped on a plane just before 8 PM. I realize now none of the pictures of me holding you actually have me in them...but this is me! I'm the lady in the green dress that was oh...34 weeks pregnant :)
A few things I want to note for historical sake about August 2009:
- The average price for a gallon of regular gasoline was $2.56
- The average price for a gallon of milk was $2.75
- Sotomayor Confirmed to U.S. Supreme Court (Aug. 6): The Senate approves, 68 to 31, the nomination of Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court. She's the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice and the third woman to serve on the Court. President Barack Obama praised the confirmation as “breaking yet another barrier and moving us yet another step closer to a more perfect union.” (Aug. 8): Sotomayor becomes the country's 111th Supreme Court justice as she's sworn in by Chief Justice John Roberts.
- Storm Sweeps Through Southeast Asia (Aug. 10): Typhoon Morakot, which started in the Philippines, causes a mudslide in a rural mountain village in southern Taiwan that buries schools, homes, and at least 600 people. The storm, which unleashed more than 80 inches of rain in three days, forces the evacuation of about 1 million people in southern China. Total number of casualties is not known.
- Cash for Clunkers Program Extended (Aug. 6): The Senate votes 60–37 to provide another $2 billion for the "cash for clunkers" government program, and President Obama signs the legislation into law. The program provides monetary incentives to car owners who replace existing vehicles with cars that have a better fuel efficiency. The original version of the program ran out of funding within a few days.
- Economy Sheds 247,000 Jobs in July (Aug. 7): Though the 247,000 jobs lost in the month of July is a huge number, it is the smallest number of jobs lost in a month since August 2008. Unemployment in the U.S. dropped slightly, from 9.5% to 9.4%, likely because many people have stopped searching for jobs. Experts suggest that these numbers indicate the economy is currently in recovery mode.
- Grace Elizabeth Leffler joins the world!
Ok well maybe the tutu wasn't necessary but it was darn cute and you kind of seemed to like it! :)
Once you were distracted - someone else decided they wanted to try out the tutu
In typical Grace fashion - you like to do things your way and when you want to do it and therefore wanted nothing to do with a birthday cake! Especially with all that off-tune singing, cameras in hand and everyone starring!
So maybe you weren't the smash the cake kinda 1st Birthday gal but somehow I doubt you'll always be this dainty around such a yummy cake!
Either way - Happy First Birthday Gracie baby - the world is a better place with you in it!